Temperate & Exotic Vegetables
- Cancer: Broccoli may prove to be a natural wonder-drug for many types of cancer,
- Detoxification: The presence of vitamin-C, sulphur and certain amino acids make broccoli a very good detoxifier.
- Stomach Disorders: Broccoli is very rich in fiber or roughage, the best thing which can cure almost all the stomach disorders by curing constipation, since constipation is the root to almost all the stomach disorders.
- Fresh, dark green-leafy cabbage is incredibly nutritious; but very low in fat and calories. 100 g of leaves provide just 25 calories.
- The vegetable is a storehouse of phyto-chemicals like thiocyanates, indole-3-carbinol, lutein, zea-xanthin, sulforaphane, and isothiocyanates.
- Fresh cabbage is an excellent source of natural antioxidant, vitamin C.
- It is also rich in essential vitamins such as pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and thiamin (vitamin B-1).
- It also contains a adequate amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, iron, and magnesium.
- Cabbage is a very good source of vitamin K, provides about 63% of RDA levels.
- All lettuce is a good source of chlorophyll and vitamin K.
- Lettuce is very good for dieters because it is very low in calories.
- Lettuce is a good source of Iron which is the most active element in the body therefore it must be replenished frequently to meet any sudden demand of the body such as the rapid formation of red blood corpuscles in heavy loss of blood.
- Lettuce magnesium content has exceptional vitalizing powers especially in the muscular tissues, the brain and the nerves.
- The juice of lettuce combined with carrot and spinach juice is very helpful for maintaining the normal color of the hair.
- Lettuce is beneficial in the treatment of insomnia as it contains a sleep inducing substance.
- Lettuce may also help treat the following problems; acid indigestion, anemia, arthritis, catarrh, circulatory problems, colitis, constipation, cough, diabetes, gastritis, gout, insomnia, irritable bowel, obesity, sexual addiction, stress, tuberculosis, ulcers and urinary tract diseases.
Other uses include relief of toothache, seasickness, and fever. It is also used to help people who have difficulty swallowing.Capsicum is also used on the skin to relieve muscle spasms, as a gargle for laryngitis, and to discourage thumb-sucking or nail-biting.
One form of capsicum is currently being studied as a drug for migraine, osteoarthritis, and other painful conditions.A particular form of capsicum causes intense eye pain and other unpleasant effects when it comes in contact with the face. This form is used in self-defense pepper sprays.
- Good physique and no excess fat because of low calories
- High quantity of Vitamin C and anti-oxidants help curb free radicals and destructive oxidation reactions
- Lowers the risk of obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, and cancers of the stomach, pancreas, bladder, and lung diseases
- Prevents and heals up a wide range of health problems because of high nutrient content
- Very rich source of calcium, phosphor, folic acid and magnesium, essential for all-round development of human body
- Helps prevent cataracts and cardiovascular disease due to large amount of lutein.
- Fresh green beans are very low in calories (31 caloriess per 100 g of raw bean pods) and contain no saturated fat. Nevertheless, these lean vegetables are a very good source of vitamins, minerals, and plant derived micronutrients.
- The beans are very rich source of dietary fiber (9% per 100g RDA) which acts as a bulk laxative.
- Green beans contain excellent levels of vitamin A, and health promoting flavonoid poly phenolic antioxidants such as lutein, zea-xanthin and ß-carotene in good amounts.
- They also contain good amounts of vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine), thiamin (vitamin B-1), and vitamin-C. Consumption of foods rich in vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen-free radicals.
- Mildly sweet, crispy textured kohlrabi is notably rich in vitamins and dietary fiber; however, it has only 27 calories per 100 g, a negligible amount of fat, and zero cholesterol.
- Fresh kohlrabi stem is rich source of vitamin-C; provides 62 mg per 100 g weight that is about 102% of RDA.
- Kohlrabi, like other members of the Brassica family, contains health-promoting phytochemicals such as isothiocyanates, sulforaphane, and indole-3-carbinol that are supposed to protect against prostate and colon cancers.
- It especially contains good amounts of many B-complex groups of vitamins such as niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin, pantothenic acid, etc.,
- Knol-knol notably has good levels of minerals; copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, iron, and phosphorus are especially available in the stem.
- In addition, its creamy color flesh contains small amounts of vitamin A, and carotenes.
- Zucchini helps to cure asthma as it contains Vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant, and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Zucchini helps to prevent diseases, like scurvy, bruising etc, caused by the deficiency of Vitamin C.
- Eating zucchini also helps to support the arrangement of capillaries.
- Regular intake of zucchini effectively lowers high homocysteine levels.
- Zucchini also prevents the risk of having multiple sclerosis (MS).
- Zucchinis have high water content (over 95%), so they make perfect food for people on diet.
- Zucchini contains useful amounts of folate, potassium, and vitamin A, necessary for a human body.
- Zucchini contains Vitamin C and lutein, both of which are good for eyes.
- Celery leaves has high content of vitamin A, whilst the stems are an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, B6 and C with rich supplies of potassium, folate, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sodium and plenty essential amino acids.
- Nutrients in the fiber are released during juicing, aiding bowel movements. The natural organic sodium (salt) in celery is very safe for consumption, in fact is essential for the body. Even individuals who are salt-sensitive can safely take the sodium in celery, unlike table salt which is harmful for those with high blood pressure.
This product is available as both dried or fresh leaves.
Dietary fiber is essential for proper digestion of food and Chinese cabbage contains a lot of that. When you eat this veggi, you consume enough of this nutrient and develop bulk inside your digestive tract. It eventually accelerates your digestion by removing unnecessary materials from our body.
Including Chinese cabbage or bok choy in your diet can be extremely beneficial for your heart. It is because the vegetable is full of two most important minerals – calcium and potassium, which can regulate the blood pressure levels efficiently. The amount of sodium present in it is also quite low, which is good for maintaining the health of the cardiac system.
- Brussels Sprouts Are High in Vitamin C
- Brussels Sprouts May Help Prevent Cancer
- Brussels Sprouts Are a Good Source of Fiber
- Bananas help overcome depression due to high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin — the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter.
- Eat two bananas before a strenuous workout to pack an energy punch and sustain your blood sugar.
- Protect against muscle cramps during workouts and nighttime leg cramps by eating a banana.
- Counteract calcium loss during urination and build strong bones by supplementing with a banana.
- Improve your mood and reduce PMS symptoms by eating a banana, which regulates blood sugar and produces stress-relieving relaxation.
- Bananas reduce swelling, protect against type II diabetes, aid weight loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with the production of white blood cells, all due to high levels of vitamin B-6.
- Strengthen your blood and relieve anemia with the added iron from bananas.
- High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure and protect against heart attack and stroke.
- Rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and heavy metals from the body.
- Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients.
- Constipated? High fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility.
- Got the runs? Bananas are soothing to the digestive tract and help restore lost electrolytes after diarrhoea.
- Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux, heartburn and GERD.
- Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress to relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids.
- Eating bananas will help prevent kidney cancer, protects the eyes against macular degeneration and builds strong bones by increasing calcium absorption.
- Bananas make you smarter and help with learning by making you more alert. Eat a banana before an exam to benefit from the high levels of potassium.
- Bananas are high in antioxidants, providing protection from free radicals and chronic disease.
- Eating a banana between meals helps stabilize blood sugar and reduce nausea from morning sickness.
- Rub a bug bite or hives with the inside of the banana peel to relieve itching and irritation.
- Control blood sugar and avoid binging between meals by eating a banana.
- Eating a banana can lower the body temperature and cool you during a fever or on a hot day.
- The natural mood-enhancer tryptophan, helps to relieve Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
- Quitting smoking? Bananas contain high levels of B-vitamins as well as potassium and magnesium to speed recovery from the effects of withdrawal.
- Remove a wart by placing the inside of a piece of banana peel against the wart and taping it in place.
- Rub the inside of a banana peel on your leather shoes or handbag and polish with a dry cloth for a quick shine.
- It is a rich source of highly digestive proteins, calcium, iron, Vitamin C, and carotenoids.
- Drumstick soup helps to control any kind of chest congestion, coughs and sore throats.
- Juice extracted from drum stick leaves, when mixed with milk and offered to children will greatly helps to strengthen their bones as it is said to be a great source of Calcium.
- Drumstick leaves juice gives a good glow to your skin and face also drumstick is said to be a great blood purifier.
- Drumstick leaves are used to treat many problems such as the wheezing of asthma, bronchitis, and tuberculosis.
- Soup made with drumstick leaves and flowers are highly beneficial in preventing infections such as throat, chest and skin.
- Drumstick-leaf juice is also very beneficial for pregnant women as it can help them to overcome sluggishness of the uterus, ease delivery, and reduce post-delivery complications.
- Inhaling steam of water in which drumsticks have been boiled helps to control asthma and other lung problems.
- Because of the high calcium, iron, and vitamins, drumstick leaves can be used as a wonderful tonic for infants, growing kids and teens to promote strong and healthy bones.
- Pregnant women should often eat drumsticks as it helps to ease any kind of pre and post-delivery complication.
- Eggplant is very low in calories and fats but rich in soluble fiber content. 100 g provides just 24 calories but contributes about 9% of RDA (recommended daily allowance) of fiber.
- Research studies conducted at the Institute of Biology of São Paulo State University; Brazil suggested that eggplant is effective to control high blood cholesterol.
- The peel or skin (deep blue/purple varieties) of aubergine has significant amounts of phenolic flavonoid phyto-chemicals called anthocyanins. Scientific studies have shown that these anti-oxidants have potential health effects against cancer, aging, inflammation, and neurological diseases.
- Total antioxidant strength measured in terms of oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) of aubergines is 993 µmol TE/100 g. At value 15; they are one of the low glycemic index (GI) vegetables.
- It contains good amounts of many essential B-complex groups of vitamins such as pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxine (vitamin B6) and thiamin (vitamin B1), niacin (B3). These vitamins are essential in the sense that body requires them from external sources to replenish and required for fat, protein and carbohydrate metabolism.
- Further, this vegetable is an also good source of minerals like manganese, copper, iron and potassium. Manganese is used as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Potassium is an important intracellular electrolyte that helps counter pressing (hypertension) effects of sodium.
- The pods are among the very low calorie vegetables. They provide just 30 calories per 100 g, besides containing no saturated fats or cholesterol.
- The pods are one of the rich sources of mucilage substance that help in smooth peristalsis of digested food through the gut and ease constipation condition.
- The pods contain healthy amounts of vitamin A, and flavonoid anti-oxidants such as beta-carotene, xanthin and lutein.
- Fresh pods are the good source of folates; provide about 22% of RDA per 100 g.
- The gumbo pods are also an excellent source of anti-oxidant vitamin, vitamin-C, providing about 36% of daily-recommended levels.
- The veggies are rich in B-complex group of vitamins like niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid. The pods also contain good amounts of vitamin K.
- The pods are an also good source of many important minerals such as iron, calcium, manganese and magnesium.
A few of the health benefits shows up below:
- Ridge gourd is extremely rich in dietary fiber and enriched with all the vital elements that include Vit-C, Zinc, Iron, Riboflavin, Magnesium, Thiamin and traces of another minerals.
- It is low in saturated fat, cholesterol and calories that aids in weight loss.
- Ridge gourd contains good content of cellulose and high in water content that helps to relieve from constipation and healing piles.
- Ridge gourd contains insulin like Peptides and Alkaloids within the vegetable that helps to reduce the sugar levels in both the blood and urine.
- It is high in Beta-carotene which is good for enhancing eye sight.
- Ridge gourd acts effective in purifying blood. It boosts up and nourishes the liver health and protects the liver from alcohol intoxication.
- Ridge gourd juice is used to heal jaundice and to strengthen your immune system against any infection.
- It is good for skin care, as the blood purifying qualities in it ensures you to stay clear from pimples and acne.
- Ridge gourd helps to manage acidity as well as ulcers. It is well known as a cooling agent and aids in handling burning up experience with the urine.
The taste is bitter, but this often disappears when cooking, although once the vegetable is ripe, the bitterness is more difficult to eliminate. The leaves, tendrils, and other leafy parts of the plant are often used as vegetable greens, while the fleshy meat often replaces tomatoes in terms of culinary applications. It is strange in appearance, name, and taste, but its health benefits cannot be denied. Let’s take a closer look at what specifically makes snake gourds such an important dietary staple in so many cultures around the world.
Some of the most important health benefits of snake gourd include its ability to improve the strength of the immune system, reduce fevers, detoxify the body, improve the digestive processes of the body, increase hydration in the body, treat diabetes, boost the strength and quality of the hair, and aid in weight loss.
Pumpkins vary greatly in shape, size and colors. Giant pumpkins generally weigh 4–6 kg with the largest capable of reaching a weight of over 25 kg. Golden-nugget pumpkins are flat, smaller in size and feature sweet creamy orange color flesh.
Pumpkins, in general, feature orange or yellow color; however, some varieties exhibit dark to pale green, brown, white, red and gray. Their color is largely influenced by yellow-orange pigments in their skin and pulp. Its thick rind is smooth with light, vertical ribs.
In structure, the fruit features golden-yellow to orange flesh depending up on the poly-phenolic pigments in it. The fruit has a hollow center, with numerous small, off-white colored seeds interspersed in a net like structure. Pumpkin seeds are a great source of protein, minerals, vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- It is one of the very low calorie vegetables. 100 g fruit provides just 26 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol; however, it is rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins.
- Pumpkin is a storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E.
- It is also an excellent source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as α, ß carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein and zea-xanthin. Carotenes convert into vitamin A inside the body.
- The fruit is a good source of B-complex group of vitamins like folates, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid.
- It is also rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
- One serving of red, ripe, raw tomatoes (one cup or 150 grams) is a good source of Vitamins A, C, K, folate and potassium. Tomatoes are naturally low in sodium, saturated fat, cholesterol, and calories. Tomatoes also provide thiamin, niacin, vitamin B6, magnesium, phosphorus and copper, all of which are necessary for good health.
- On top of that, one serving of tomatoes gives you 2 grams of fiber, which is 7% of the daily recommended amount. Tomatoes also have a relatively high water content, which makes them a filling food. In general eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, including tomatoes, confers protection against high blood pressure, high cholesterol, strokes, and heart disease.
The plant is basically a creeper and belongs to the Cucurbitaceous family, its scientific name being Cucumis sativus. This vegetable is considered as a super food for its effects on the overall health.
This plant is extremely easy to grow and is cultivated in various sizes, shapes and colour. The vegetable is cultivated all over the world. It has a light to dark green thin skin, moisture rich flesh and has tiny edible seeds inside. The vegetable is best harvested when it is young, tender and just short of achieving maturity. It has a slightly sweet flavour and is mainly eaten raw in salad or sandwiches or in the form of juice.
- Good for diabetics
- Cluster beans contain glyconutrients that help in controlling blood sugar levels in the body. They are low in glycemic index.
- Strengthens bone health
- Guar beans contain calcium that helps in strengthening the bones. The presence of phosphorus in this vegetable aids in fortifying the bones and enhances bone health.
- Great for heart health
- Gavar exerts heart healthy effects by lowering the blood levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) in the body. The presence of dietary fibre, potassium and folate in this vegetable prevents the heart from various cardiovascular complications.
- Helps manage blood pressure
- The hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic properties of cluster beans make them the best natural aid for hypertensive patients.
- Recommended during pregnancy
- Iron and calcium present in cluster beans fills up the deficiencies of these minerals in the pregnant women. This vegetable is loaded with high levels of folic acid that prevent the fetus from numerous birth defects and also various pregnancy related health issues. Vitamin K contained in cluster beans is good for the bones and helps with better fetal development. Increases blood circulation
- The presence of iron in gavar increases hemoglobin production and stimulates oxygen carrying capacity of the blood resulting in better blood circulation.
- Acts as digestive aid
- Cluster beans work as a good laxative, stimulating bowel movement and improving your digestive system. They also help in flushing the unwanted toxins from the stomach and prevent digestion-related problems.
- Calms the brain
- Hypoglycemic properties of cluster beans help in soothing the nerves. They are also found to reduce anxiety and tension and calm the person mentally.
- Maintains Standard Cholesterol Levels:
- Cowpeas can keep our cholesterol level remarkably low. It is an excellent source of soluble dietary fiber and protein, which play significant role in decreasing the amount of bad cholesterol present in the plasma of our blood. They also contain steroid compounds called phytosterols. These are very effective in maintaining the standard cholesterol levels in our body.
- Controls Blood Cholesterol:
- Removes Free Radicals:
- Cowpeas, especially the creamy white, light brown, black and red ones, are loaded with antioxidant agents – vitamin A and vitamin C. Therefore, consumption of these beans can help us get rid of detrimental free radicals, which can eventually stop the growth of cancerous cells.
- Regulates Blood Sugar Levels:
- Treats Cardiovascular Ailments:
- Lignin Content Keeps Fatal Diseases Away:
- Treats Stomach and Pancreatic Problems:
- Cures Urination & Bowel Related Conditions:
- Good for Weight Loss:
Garlic is arranged in a head, called the “bulb,” which is made up of separate cloves. Both the cloves and the entire bulb are encased in paper-like sheathes that can be white, off-white or pinkish.
Garlic cloves are off-white in color, and although they have a firm texture, they can be easily cut or crushed. The taste of garlic is like no other; it hits the palate with a hot pungency that is shadowed by a very subtle background sweetness.
A quick glimpse at their incredible health benefits:
- The phytochemicals in onions improve the working of Vitamin C in the body, thus gifting you with improved immunity.
- Onions contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar.
- For centuries, onions have been used to reduce inflammation and heal infections.
- Do you enjoy sliced onions with your food? If yes, rejoice! Raw onion encourages the production of good cholesterol (HDL), thus keeping your heart healthy.
- A powerful compound called quercetin in onions is known to play a significant role in preventing cancer.
- Got bitten by a honeybee? Apply onion juice on the area for immediate relief from the pain and burning sensation.
- Onions scavenge free radicals, thereby reducing your risk of developing gastric ulcers.
- Those bright green tops of green onions are rich in Vitamin A, so do use them often.
Young coconuts are the most health enhancing of the two. The water in the young coconut is one of the highest sources of electrolytes. Electrolytes are responsible for keeping the body properly hydrated so the muscles and nerves can function appropriately. Therefore it is more beneficial to drink the water from a young coconut after an intense workout rather than the commercial sports drinks we see advertised.